Saturday

Breakfast Cookies

For years, now, people have been preaching about how breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Especially if you're trying to manage your weight. I didn't understand this. Where I'm concerned, eating does not occur to me until later in the day. And, I'm talking real late. I can get up at 6 and not feel hungry until noon, or later. But, the thing is... once I start eating I don't stop nibbling until I go to bed.
Being the pseudo-scientist that I am, I decided to test this out. I forced myself to eat within 20 minutes after crawling out of bed. And, this is what I discovered: It works.

Dammit all! I'm thinner now than I was during the skipping breakfast years. Though the big problem is finding something palatable to eat first thing in the morning. Nibbling on a breakfast cookie generally does the trick.

Yummy Breakfast Cookies

Mix it up:

  • 3/4 cup Whole Wheat Flour
  • 1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
  • 1/3 tsp. Salt
Stir it in:

  • 1/2 cup Butter
  • 1/3 cup Dark Brown Sugar
  • 2 tsp. Vanilla
  • 1 Egg
Grab that wooden spoon & add...

  • 1.5 cups Oatmeal (not cooked)
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped Apples
  • 3/4 cup Craisins
  • 1 cup shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese*
Bake for 15 minutes @ 375 degrees.

Good to go. These work particularly well for me because I'm too impatient to make breakfast. I stick these in my pocket and gobble them up while I'm walking to the stables. Horses like 'em, too.
* I'm a cheese lover. Therefore I love this recipe. If you're not much of a cheesehead substitute nuts and favorite dried fruits for the Cheddar cheese.

Introducing CHEFS Wine Club!

No comments: