Sunday

Classic Spritz Christmas Cookie Recipe

If you make 1 cookie this season,
make it a Spritz

I can't imagine Christmas without a tray of these tempting little treats. Though, I'll readily admit they're a lot more fun when someone else is baking them.

Spritz are made with a cookie press ~ if you're a perfectionist, that will give ya fits. It's not so bad for me because we generally eat all the dough before the oven is preheated.

*****
For years I suspected my oven hated me. It would bake too hot, or broil too cold. Everyone accused me of being childish and immature for blaming the appliance.

Last year, that #!%*! oven decided to quit baking on December 23rd ~ so, we had to broil our Spritz Christmas Cookies! They weren't very pretty but they still tasted great.

Who's cryin now?
Sure, I could have recycled it. But, deep down, I knew it was possessed. So, I happily hauled that mean-spirited oven away to a place where it will never (ever!) be able to foil another baker's plans.

Classic Spritz Cookies
If you can refrain from eating the cookie dough, this recipe makes 4 dozen.
1 cup butter
3 egg yolks
2.5 cups flour
2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

How to:
  1. Mix the butter, sugar, egg yolks and vanilla. Add the flour and mix by hand.
  2. Spoon into cookie press and press onto cookie sheets.
  3. Sprinkle with colored sugars. (Or, use red and green food coloring on smaller batches of the dough.)
  4. Bake @ 400 degrees for 7-10 minutes.
* Cookies require no recipe adjustments, when baking at high altitude.


4 comments:

Narnia Dweller said...

I was invited to a cookie exchange and went searching for a spritz recipe that might possibly work up here (winter park, co.) I found your blog and have become woefully distracted reading all of your hilarious and clever posts/recipes. I guess I should head back into the kitchen but first I wanted to comment and thank you for the informative and entertaining blog. Keep it up!!

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Merry Christmas, Narnia!

Thanks so much for the kind compliment. It made my day. Hope the cookies turned out great. :)

L Fisher said...

I got distracted, too ... came to read about bread baking ... haven't even looked for it yet!

Your "oven hated you" indeed!! Haven't we ALL been there!!

Keep up the good work, I am so enjoying!

L Fisher

RecipeRepresentative said...

Thank you so much for posting this recipe. I too am a blogger, however, I enjoy trying other people's recipes rather than creating my own, thus the name "recipe representative". I had great success here in (Castle Rock, CO at 6100 ft) with your spritz recipe today after waiting a few years (after moving from Kansas) to regain my baking confidence. I will say, I only needed 2 cups of flour.

Have you met Randi Levin (from Evergreen, CO), the author of Baking at High Altitude? Every newly relocated baker to the mountains NEEDS this cookbook. :)

Looking forward to reading more of your blogs! Thank you so much!