Early morning at the local Farmer's Market is a colorful, bustling, fun-filled affair. This week, I came home with more luscious tomatoes than I really need.
So, now it's time to get creative in the kitchen. Here's a tasty recipe I just discovered.
It's so delicious, it easily doubles as dinner.
You'll need a loaf of crusty bread (garlic or rosemary are great choices,) olive oil, shredded Parmesan cheese, thinly sliced proscuitto, and one fresh-picked, vine-ripened tomato.*
Heirloom Tomato Broiled Appetizer
- Fire up the broiler
- Cut the bread in half-inch thick, sandwich-type slices
- Brush with olive oil
- Add thinly-sliced proscuitto
- Add thinly-sliced tomato*
- Cover with shredded Parmesan cheese
- Broil for 5-10 minutes, until bread is toasty and cheese is melted and bubbly.
* Please don't wreck this fabulous recipe by using a crummy, store-bought tomato. :-)