This idea was inspired by an email I got from a new Park City resident, who dolled up one of my recipes with apples.
Hmmm... I thought to myself. I've got apples coming out my ears! Two trees laden with fruit that I've been picking every other day and... feeding to the horses.
I guess it's about time we humans enjoy this plentiful harvest...
Autumn Apple Pot Roast ~ Crock Pot Recipe
- 1 - average size pork roast. Or, beef chuck roast (I tend to buy whichever is on sale.)
- 3 or 4 - chopped shallots (Or, a half average size yellow or white onion.)
- 5 or 6 - garlic cloves, chopped into bits (I tend to go hog wild with the garlic...)
- 2 - tart apples, sliced into wedges
- 1/2 - cup applesauce
- 1 - 32 oz low sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- Dash of celery salt and/salt and pepper to taste
IMHO you don't need to be very exact when you're tossing goodies into a crock pot. I let this simmer for about 6 hours. It was sweet and tender and really quite delightful.