Tuesday

Edamame: My Mean Green Appetizer

Edamame: I'm so lazy I buy them already shelled.
Edamame is a prettier name for soybeans. And, I'm a soybean nut. Shunned them for years because they looked like peas and.. Boy! Do I hate cooked peas.

I began purchasing frozen, shelled Edamame a few years ago at the supermarket and it quickly became a side dish staple. I roast 'em, stir fry 'em, slip them into casseroles. I pretty much try everything under the sun with soybeans ~ with no complaints. (Hey!)

So why not a dip? It's quick. It's yummy. And, it's also very different. You know what that means... tons of compliments!

* Toss this mess into blender, or food processor, and voila! Super tasty with New York Bagel Chips.

Edamame Dip ~ Oh. So. Easy.
  • 1 bag frozen, shelled edamame (It's maybe 12-14 oz., available at most grocery stores.) Microwave the bag (per bag instructions) and then let it cool.
  • 1/2 cup chopped green onions (including the green stems.)
  • 1 tablespoon roasted garlic (The Spice World jars you see at the market. Fresh, chopped garlic cloves are tasty, too.)
  • 1/2 cup chopped, fresh Italian parsley.
  • 1/2 tablespoon miso (I use the dry powder from miso soup. Miso is soybean paste.)
  • 1 tablespoon chile powder.
  • 4 tablespoons olive oil.
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice.
* Salt, pepper, and wig out this recipe with garlic and cayenne 'til the cows come home. I hope you enjoy it.

Soybeans may look expensive, but they are super filling, compared to other veggies: 11 grams of protein + 9 grams of fiber in 1 itty bitty half cup.

    No comments: